Monday, December 2, 2013

Turning another page for a digital reader

Do books still have a place in the world today? Of course they do, but the style in which they appear may be changing. Amazon's latest "e-reader" is making waves for the literature community, featuring new page turning features which almost mimic the traditional feel of turning the page, without the feel of paper.

Non-fiction reading is what I am most adapt to these days. Reading books that will improve my knowledge in my major and teaching myself new abilities. However, for me, there is nothing like the feel of a crisp clean page turning behind another. Even for the newspaper, I have become accustomed to the feel of it's soft yet sharp feel. A millennial generational student, for that I have turned away from the websites (nytimes.com and usatoday.com) for the paper subscription. I simply ignore how it feels.

Concurrently, in order to compete, Apple has applied for a patent for authors autographs on digital novels. Correct me if I am wrong, but how would validity come from a "digital" signature. Does that not defeat the purpose of having the author sign your book in ink? How will you monetize signatures from popular authors like J.K Rowling and J. R. R. Tolkein?

For myself, there is no substitute, But buy one for yourself and you let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment